Thursday, May 15, 2008

So this is how it happened

1st. James was not listening. His teacher asked him to put his book away. He chose to disobey, he had to flip a card.

2nd. One of his classmates tattled and said he was teasing her. His teacher told him to flip his card again. His teacher wouldn't listen to him when he said he wasn't teasing and he got so frustrated by this that he screamed, kicked his desk and punched the desktop.

3rd. He was told to take timeout in the K classroom. On his way back from lunch (with the kindergartners) he was swinging his lunch bag and twirling around and he hit some of the kids with his bag. His teacher misheard and thought he had kicked the students.

4th. Because of the kicking he was referred to the Vice Principal and the referral will go in his file.


I am concerned that things were blown out of proportion where the kicking is concerned. James is ADAMANT that he didn't kick anyone but will admit he wasn't following directions and swiped some of the kids with his lunch bag. I have had him tell me what happened three times and the story has not changed. I have no doubt that he wasn't on task and that he did throw a tantrum out of frustration but I wonder about the kicking. And now I am frustrated because that got him in a lot of trouble. I will have to call his teacher tomorrow.

Here at home there will be no TV or toys until he can get his attitude in check. I am surprised at how calm James Sr remained. I know it took all of his self control to not whip off his belt. That is where he and I are different. He was raised being downright abused and I was barely spanked. I don't believe in beating James or spanking him with a belt before we have had time to calm down. I will not hit him in the heat of the moment. I am very thankful that although James disagrees he accepts my feelings about it. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of times when I feel like smacking him, but if I tell him he can't flip out or kick things when he is frustrated then I shouldn't smack him when he pisses me off. Sometimes I wonder if I am right though. He is such a little smart mouth with the huffiest of attitudes.

Hopefully we can all help him with it, since it takes a village.......

3 comments:

Mrs Groovy said...

I'd be talking to the teacher and if he didn't kick anyone then I'd want it out of his file. I can only imagine your frustration but I can understand his too.

Mrs Groovy said...

Oh and I love the picture for your profile and you are totally not boring!

Darlene said...

Hello my not so boring friend. Thanks for google-ing me. I'm still around - LIFE has taken over these last few weeks. UGH.

I miss you terribly and want to see Christopher and James sooooo bad.

I'll email you with my phone #'s.

xoxox,
Darlene