Thursday, May 22, 2008

Insurance crap

I could hurt myself at this point. Or others.

I got the insurance info yesterday. One day after the dr's appt. I read through it and all the coverage the agent said I was getting has stipulations and exclusions. My dr's appts are only covered at $150. My bill from last year was $400. My b/c is not covered at all. So not only did they increase my policy price 100% but I can't even get the services I need. I made the hard decision to cancel the insurance. We would have been paying $364 a month, plus $30 for my prescription and I would have to pay the $250 oop for my dr visit. The plan had a $1500 deductible so even if we get seriously sick/injured we would have to pay that before insurance would pay their 70%. It just didn't make sense and now I see why so many people don't have insurance.

But because I took Chris to the dr on tuesday I am responsible for the whole $369 bill. I could have gotten the shots for $10 each at their office if I had waited or gotten them free at the health dept. It's sickening but they are letting me make payments and did reduce the price to what insurance would have paid. That was nice of them. The woman I spoke to said she would check if they could change the imminization fee from full price to $10. She made it clear that she probably couldn't but would try. She said she would call me today to let me know. I haven't heard from her yet and probably won't but it's nice thinking they may not charge me the $200 difference.

2 comments:

Mrs Groovy said...

How annoying and what a huge disappointment. Insurance companies are so full of crap. I should find out what my Mom has since she has to pay for her own.... I'll ask her.

Darlene said...

Don't get me started on insurance!

We have paid $10 for every.single.shot. AJ has ever gotten. They should be able to change it - if not then they are just greedy!

I had to sign a state form to pay the $10...fyi

and how could a well baby check up be $369? We are self pay and the office visit is $35/$45 for check up PLUS shots. Guess I am thankful for our pediatrician!