Thursday, May 15, 2008

The bad gets worse.

Earlier this afternoon I got a phone call from a # I did not immediately recognize. It took a few minutes before I said, OH CRAP, that was school. Normally they call with a recorded message for school closings or early dismissals but it's too early for them to be calling about Memorial Day. So I play the message and hear the Vice Principal saying James is in her office on a discipline referral. HOLY SHIT. They only get those when they have done something extreme. Christopher was screaming and I couldn't calm him down. I tried calling James so that he could speak with the VP but he was in a meeting, so I got Christopher calmed to sniffles and called. It turns out that he threw one hell of a tantrum in class. Screams, kicks and hitting of the desk ensued. He had to flip his card. When it happened again his teacher sent him to another classroom for a time out. This is standard procedure. When she went to pick him up he had kicked 3 students from that class. OH MY GOD. That's when his teacher decided to send him to the office. She called me a little while ago to talk about it and the first thing out of her mouth was a sort of apology for sending him to the office. I am pretty sure she wasn't sorry about it since it was what she is required to do. But I think it was more of she thought I would be mad at her for doing so. This is all speculation so I could be wrong. But I told her not to feel bad at all. What I really wanted to tell her was she should have slapped him. We talked for about 30 minutes and both of us are still at a loss as to why it happened. We came up with a few theories. Now I am not denying that he acts like a 2 yr old from time to time but he has never actually hurt anyone out of frustration so that was a huge concern and an even bigger red flag that somethings going on with him.


And there's the bus. I'll let you know how this goes and if he comes out unscathed.

No comments: