Thursday, April 03, 2008

We have a schedule

5:45 Christopher starts to whine
6:00 Bathtime
6:30 Bottle
7:00 Bed

Even though we do it every night it's not getting any easier. As soon as the lights dim and the bottles gone the boy is awake, squirming, and screaming. I have read 3 different books with 3 different approaches, bits and pieces from each have helped but none of them has been the "cure."

**I refuse the "cry it out" method because it's just not nice. I can't imagine how I would feel after screaming and sobbing for an hour or so until I caught on that no one cares or so it seems since no one will come soothe me.**

Anyway. back to tonight. Christopher cried for about thirty minutes total. I would go in periodically and burp him. His eyes were swollen and he was so miserable. I calmed him and laid him down but didn't rock him to sleep. This last time I stood next to the crib. He had stopped crying but wasn't budging on the sleep part. I rubbed his little nose until his eyelids were to heavy and every few minutes or so he would open his eyes WIDE. I smiled once and he smiled back. Hmmm, I thought, does he know that I just smiled? So I tried it a few more times. Every time I smiled he smiled. If I didn't smile neither did he. I thought it was pretty darn cute. Eventually the little bugger fell asleep.

He has his days and nights mixed up. He's been this way since in utero. I am a third shift kinda girl as well so I can relate. He gets up about every 3-4 hours during the night but it's not that bad. I get enough time in between to feel OK in the morning. I have tried to change his little biological clock but it's not working. I figure until it happens naturally, if ever, we'll just hang out and smile at each other......

1 comment:

Mrs Groovy said...

Ashlee was like that too. It took a while but she got used to going to bed at a "normal time". But given the chance to stay up late.... girl can hang.
The smiles are totally worth it.