Saturday, September 15, 2007

so what do you do when your precious six year old is throwing temper tantrums at school again. Well if your me you do a few things. First you burst into tears over the stress of doing it all over again. Second you question your ability as a parent. Third you feel like banging your head against a wall because you have no new solutions for the problem. I exhausted all possibilities last school year. This years teacher isn't as accepting and expects him to be able to control his temper. I don't blame her. I just wish someone could wave a magic wand over his head and make him perfect...... His teacher called me Friday afternoon. Of course I wasn't able to answer the phone as I was at work. I am going to send a note telling her to please call me at work to discuss the problem. Hopefully she will have some new suggestions. His kindergarten teacher sees him once a week to make sure he's staying on track.

James' answer is to be stern, loud and intimidating. All that does is upset the kid even more and then he gets all choked up which in turn makes James even more angry and it's just a mess. I agree that talking isn't helping but neither is yelling. I am sure that Little doesn't start the day saying "Gee if I get mad I am going to throw a fit" and I am sure that as he is throwing the fit he is not mature enough to calm himself down. Of course he realizes the mess he has gotten himself into once it's over.

I don't know what to do now anymore than I did last school year.

3 comments:

Mrs Groovy said...

First of all I'm sorry its not a little girl, but God must know you are a rocking mommy to boys is all that means. As far as the throwing fits at school, maybe talking to the counselor would give you some insight or even talking to his old teacher. And maybe, just maybe he's not ready for 1st grade maturity wise? I don't know but I wish you tons of luck. My husband thinks yelling works too and that just makes my son shut down. So I can understand your frustration.

Anonymous said...

I hope you and the teacher can find the source of the tantrums, and work together on his ability to express himself in other ways.

GypseeMommy said...

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with the little guy at school :( I know the feeling and its soooo frusterating! Just try to remember that did doesn't mean anything about your parenting. And this too shall pass. Good luck finding a solution. Hopefully the teachers can help find some answers. After all, I'm sure they've dealt with all of this many times before.